20 Killer Fitness Workouts for Women – How to Train Alone
Weight loss is 25 percent exercise and 75 percent diet. One recent study found the participants lost 23 pounds in 15 weeks when they ate smart. When they just exercised, they only lost six pounds in 21 weeks.
Do these results mean you should just stick to dieting?
The answer is a big no. Hitting the gym is a great idea when you want to start working on your physique. Just changing the way you eat could make you look unhealthy.
Couple changes in your diet with effective fitness workouts. Diet alone may lead to fat loss, but it could also mean losing muscle mass and bone density. This is the best way to feel healthy and look toned.
Some people rely on a coach to help them target problematic areas of their bodies. Professional trainers can help you design and implement a good fitness workout plan.
For women who would rather train on their own, following an effective program is a must. If you are in the same boat, you need to find a workable routine and stick to it. Here are 20 workout routines to help you take control of your body.
1. The Full Body Workout for Killer Legs and an Insane Bum
If you are a newbie to weightlifting, full body workouts are the best choice. This is ideal for those who can only train once or twice a week. Full body workouts involve compound movements.
Women need to follow a different full body workout from men. Ladies often dream of having killer legs and an attractive butt. Achieving these goals will require a routine that focuses on those areas.
Legion Athletics suggests a twice-a-week workout, with three rest days in between. The first day for the exercise routine for women includes a few upper body exercises. After that, your focus will be on your lower body.
Do the following exercises on the first day:
- Deadlifts: New weightlifters should go for eight to 10 reps. Experienced individuals can do three sets with four to six reps each.
- Hip Thrusts: You can do three sets with four to six reps when you are a beginner. Experienced weightlifters can do eight to 10 reps.
- Bench Presses: Beginners can do two sets of four to six reps each. Meanwhile, experienced weightlifters can do eight to 10 reps.
- Barbell Rows: You can do two sets with four to six reps for beginners or eight to 10 reps for experienced weightlifters.
- Military Presses: Perform two sets with four to six reps for beginners and eight to 10 reps for advanced weightlifters.
Here is your day four routine.
- Squats: You need to warm up first. Then, do three sets with four to six reps each.
- Front Squats: Do three sets with four to six reps each.
- Romanian Deadlifts: You can perform three sets of four to six reps each.
- Hip Thrusts: You can perform three sets of four to size reps, or three sets of eight to 10 reps.
2. A Neck Workout for the Much Ignored Muscle Groups
When women plan a workout routine, legs, chest, abs and arm exercises are surely included. However, some important muscle groups are left out. A lot of women ignore their neck muscles.
Neck muscles are vital to a functional body. This muscle supports the head. Running from the upper back through the neck and shoulders, these muscles are so useful to daily life.
When you are planning to exercise more, strengthening these muscles is in your best interest. Stiff neck, or worse, neck injuries could result from weak or still muscles.
If you want stronger neck muscles, try doing wall angels. Just follow these directions to do this routine:
- Stand with your feet hip-wide apart.
- Make sure your back is flat against the wall.
- Extend your arms, but keep your elbows at a 90-degree angle.
- While maintaining your position against the wall, slowly straighten your arms overhead.
You can go for just a set of 10 reps each at the beginning. Once you master these moves, do two sets with 15 reps each.
3. Shoulder Workouts for a Body That Looks Awesome in a Tank Top
Your shoulder muscles are made up of three small muscles. It would take you around 15 to 30 minutes to work on shoulders alone.
When it comes to shoulder muscles, good form is a must. Using each muscle group is also necessary to avoid injury to your shoulders. Fitness workouts for beginners include the following exercises:
- Barbell Shoulder Presses: Three sets of four to six reps.
- One-Arm Side Laterals: Three sets of 12 reps each.
- Front Plate Raises: Three sets of 12 reps each. Hold for three seconds at the top.
- Lying Rear Delt Raises: Three sets of 15 reps each.
4. A Chest Workout to Increase Your Bust Size and Tone Your Body
Chest workouts are getting more popular in women nowadays. These workout routines are a natural alternative for any woman who wants to boost her bust line. This is because exercising your chest muscles could also tone your back muscles, firming up your bust area.
Here are six moves in your exercise routine for a fuller bust:
- Medicine Ball Push Ups: Eight reps for each set.
- Chest Passes: 20 reps for each set.
- Single Arm Chest Presses: Eight reps for each set.
- Y Raises: 20 reps for each set.
- Renegade Rows: Eight reps for each set.
- Rear Lateral Raises: 20 reps for each set.
Here’s the recommended workout schedule you should follow:
- Perform one set of each exercise with no rest in between.
- After the first round, take a 30-second break and repeat three more times.
- You need to repeat the circuit four times every time you do this routine.
- It would be best to do this exercise three times a week.
5. Trim Bicep Routine: Say Goodbye to Flabby Arms
Lean arms could affect how you look. Contrary to what some people expect, lifting will not result in bulky muscles. Women are not going to look as ripped as men since females don’t produce a lot of testosterone.
Working towards leaner arms can improve how you look in sleeveless dresses. It could also remove the extra tissue under your arms. Working on your arms for about 30 minutes, once a week is enough.
Here’s a sample workout plan for leaner arms:
- Alternate Incline Dumbbell Curls: Do four sets with 12 reps each.
- Tricep Pushdowns: Do four sets with 12 reps each.
- Barbell Curls: Do four sets with 12 reps each for 21 seconds.
- Push-Ups: Do four sets with 12 reps each.
- EZ Bar Curls: Perform one set of 100 reps.
- Cable Rope Overhead Triceps Extensions: Do one set with 100 reps.
Tip: While doing this routine take a 30 to 60-second break between sets.
6. Fitness Ab Workouts to Say Goodbye to Tummy Fat
Whether you have been dieting or working out, the tummy fat is the last to go. No matter how stubborn stomach fats are, you can still do something about them. Thanks to a combination of moves, losing belly fat with exercise is possible.
If you are a magazine fan, you’ll notice that crunches and sit ups are often mentioned fitness magazine workouts for abs. If you hate these moves, here are more effective alternatives that target your core muscles:
Walkout from Pushups: This ab routine requires you to do the following:
- Side Planks: This is better than the traditional plank since you are using your whole body. Hold your position for at least 30 seconds before switching sides.
- Assume the pushup position.
- Arms should be outstretched and lift one leg.
- Walk your hands are far as possible.
- Go back to your original position.
- Do 10 to 12 reps.
2. Alligator Drags: This exercise requires you to assume the pushup position. You need to place something that slides easily on the floor on your toes. Once you have everything prepared, do two sets of the following exercise:
- Look for a place where you can walk at least 10 yards.
- Using your hands, drag yourself to the finish point.
- Rest from 60 to 90 seconds
- Go back to your starting point to complete one set.
7. A Forearm Exercise Routine to Have Sleek and Sexy Arms
There’s less fat in your arms and shoulders. This means that focusing on these areas could improve your physique instantly. You will need weights for these four exercises. You can use two-to five-pound dumbbells to do the following:
- Reverse Flies
- Bicep Curls
- Dumbbell Cross Jabs
- Lying Triceps Extensions
You need to perform two to three sets of these exercises. Do 15 to 20 reps each and do these three times a week.
8. Fitness Workouts for Stronger Quads and Leaner Legs
When you are working out, one muscle group to focus on is your quads. The muscles in your thighs can keep you from straining your back, too. Strong quads can make your legs look and feel better. Paying attention to this muscle group can change your physique almost instantly.
Focusing on your quads involves doing some killer exercises. The following routine may be grueling at first, but your efforts will pay off:
- Lying Leg Curls: Do five sets with 10 reps each.
- Band Hip Adductions: Do five sets with 10 reps each.
- Dumbbell Rear Lunges: Do five sets with 10 reps each.
- Glute Kickbacks: Perform this on the Smith Machine. Do five sets with 10 reps for each leg.
- Hack Squats: Do five sets with 10 reps.
9. Trap Muscles to Boost Upper Body Endurance
What are trap muscles? This is the group of muscles you utilize when you carry your purse. Working out these muscles could go a long way in improving your appearance.
The best exercise for his muscle group is isolated exercise. There are two easy fitness workouts at home to try:
- Shoulder Shrugs: Shrug your shoulders and keep them upright from 10 to 30 seconds.
- Shoulder Squeezes: Bring your shoulder blades together while lifting your chest. Hold your position for 10 to 30 seconds.
You can do eight to 10 reps of this routine. One to three sets could improve your muscular strength. If you are after shoulder endurance, increase reps to 15 to 20.
10. Triceps Exercise to Get Rid of Jiggly Arms
Triceps happen to be your arm’s largest muscle group. Even if your body is lean, your arms could still need some improvement. If you feel insecure about revealing those arms, these fitness workouts could help address your problems:
- Tricep Lifts: You need dumbbells for this routine. Be sure to do at least 25 reps.
- Tricep Push-Ups: This is like a regular pushup, but your elbows need to be as close to your body as possible. Perform 10 reps for each set.
- Tricep Extensions: Here, you need to perform at least 20 reps.
- Side Planks with Dumbbell Raises. This is a variation of the original side plank. The only difference is the dumbbell. Do 10 lifts on each side.
Ideally, you need to work those triceps three times a week. Do three sets of each routine.
11. Female Workouts for Lats to Look Ravishing in Backless Dresses
When you want to focus on back sculpting, exercising your lats muscles is necessary. You should work on these muscles three times a week. The best exercise for your lats is unassisted pull-ups.
You can start doing two to six sets. Focus on increasing the number of reps. Perform two to three sets with 12 reps each is ideal. This simple routine could help you look great from behind.
12. Tone Upper Back Muscles with the Reverse Fly
The muscles in the upper back deserve some attention. If you love wearing clothes with a dipping back, the key is to put those muscles to work.
There are tons of routines you can try when you are aiming for a toned back. The reverse fly is quite simple. It is a great choice for women’s fitness. Doing this exercise is easy, too:
- Stand with your legs hip width apart.
- Flatten your back and extend your arms to either side.
- Raise your arms to the side in two counts.
- Squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Lower the weights and go back to the starting position.
- Do two sets with 10 to 12 reps each.
13. Middle Back Rowing Exercises for a Beautiful Back
Strong middle back muscles are worth flaunting during any season. If you can see fat rolls in your back area, don’t fret. There are still things you can do to strengthen those muscles. Smoothing out those muscles is still possible.
Performing rowing workouts are great for targeting middle back muscles. The bent-over row and the upright row are perfect workouts. You can do three sets with 10 reps each for these workouts.
14. Lower Back Exercises: Improve Posture While Working Towards a Toned Back
What most women leave out in their exercise routines are back workouts. For some reason, the back muscles rarely get attention. Improving strength and resistance of these muscles is a must for practical reasons.
Exercise routines targeting back muscles are best performed with dumbbells. While doing these back muscle workouts, you can also have a total body burn. One routine you can do is the dumbbell single arm overhead squat.
This routine works your legs and back at the same time.
For this exercise, you need two dumbbells. One should weigh twice more than the other does. To perform this routine, follow these steps:
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart
- Hold the heavier dumbbell in your dominant hand between your legs.
- Lift the lighter dumbbells overhead with your nondominant hand
- Push your hips back while maintaining your position. Tighten your back muscles and contract your abs.
- Go back to your original position and switch arms.
- Do one to two sets of 15 reps each.
15. Shin Workouts to Focus on Walking and Running Muscles
Women bent on working towards their ideal figures sometimes forget the basics. Strengthening the muscles responsible for basic movements is a must. When these muscles suffer from injury, being active could be impossible.
The muscles in front of your legs or shins are rarely noticeable. Spending time to exercise these muscles can increase stamina and strength. A simple exercise that targets this area is the wall shin raise. You just need to do these steps:
- Stand with your back against the wall, but your feet in front of you.
- Plant your heels on the ground and raise your toes.
- Stretch those toes upward as high as possible.
- Slowly lower your toes down without touching the floor.
You can do three sets of this exercise with at least 10 reps each.
16. Work on Your Obliques for an Incredibly Flat Stomach
Your oblique muscles are important for posture and back support. Women are starting to realize how important these muscles are in their quest for a flatter tummy. Focus on twist exercises to train your obliques. You can use weights or just your body to perform this routine:
- Sit properly with your feet firmly planted.
- Lean back and lift your chest.
- Slowly and gently twist to the right with your arms parallel to the floor.
- Hold your position for two seconds.
- Switch sides and repeat.
- Do one set of 20 reps.
17. Calves are the Secret to Having Leaner Legs
For most women, the calf muscles are to blame if they are unsatisfied with how their legs look. Intense training may be necessary but oftentimes, it’s a matter of choosing the right routine. In fact, spending just 15 minutes on your calves could suffice. The standard three times a week exercise usually works.
What’s the best routine to work those calves? This calf focused routine works for most people:
- Seated Calf Raises: Do three sets with 10 to 15 reps each.
- Standing Calf Raises: Do three sets with 30 reps each.
- Leg Press Calf Raises: Do three sets with 15 to 20 reps each.
- Donkey Calf Raises: Complete 50 reps.
18. Toned Hamstring Muscles Mean Shapely Legs
There are varying opinions when it comes to the best way to tone hamstring muscles. The general rule in training the hamstrings is to focus on training volume. This implies that the number of reps you perform each week matters most.
When training the hamstrings, the Romanian deadlift is a winner. This helps isolate and overload those muscles. For people with back problems, the single leg variation works, too.
19. Glute Exercises for a Better Butt
A beautiful butt is possible with the right exercise. There are tons of workouts to target the glutes to lift your butt muscles. Genetics play a role, but stronger butt muscles can improve your shape.
Squatting is the king for lower body workouts. To make this exercise more effective, maintain the proper form. Aim for five to 12 reps with heavy weights.
It would be best to limit training to twice a week. This gives your body ample time to recover.
20. Muscle Toning Workout for a Sleek Physique
Most ladies do not want a muscular look. They are just after a sleek, feminine appearance. You need to combine cardio and strength training to achieve this.
You should do at least 30 minutes of cardio daily. Focusing on your upper and lower body twice a week is also a must. You can refer to the workout routines above. While at it, do not forget your abs.
Choosing the best fitness workouts is a must to achieve your dream body. These 20 workouts can help you plan a workout that is best for you.
What Our Readers Say…